My photo
My enduring passion is for the mountains and wilderness. Having trained as an environmental scientist I have somehow fallen into the world of ultra and endurance running. My dream is to encourage people to realise the sanctuary of the mountains, the richness of our environment and our responsibility to protect it, and the value of challenging yourself both physically and mentally.

Twitter

Wednesday 5 November 2008

Disappointment and hope ...


"
We must accept finite disappointment, but never loose infinite hope."
MARTIN LUTHER KING

Stars in a mountain sky after a beautiful autumn day in Austria.
I'm here and not on route to Italy as planned.

This week I had to make the tough decision to withdraw from the 100km World Championships on Saturday. I say tough - well - the decision sort of made itself. Initially I thought it was just knee pain and hoped that the physio and a few days rest would allow it to settle. But now it is not isolated to the knee, I'm unable to run without pain - and I'm concerned as to what the injury is. With a Gold Medal in 2006 I've had my own hopes and expectations to live with during my training and preparations. Now those hopes and expectations are meaningless. I can’t run. After all the training it seems almost unbelievable to be injured at the last minute. There is nothing I can do. But it doesn’t make it any easier. The feeling that not competing I let down the team, Great Britain … and myself.

It is perhaps inevitable that the words competition and performance are in use at a Sales Meeting - and I'm here in Austria at the autumn sales meeting of The North Face. In a way, with a long summer of races behind me, these are words I have been living.

But we live in an uncertain world. And beyond competition and performance we have to dream. We have to endure and we have to explore. We have to learn to live with it when sometimes, just sometimes, that exploration takes us to an edge we didn’t want to find.

I might be facing uncertainty now, but there are stars in a clear mountain sky. And I dream.



3 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Sorry to read you can't compete on Saturday. I hope you recover quickly and have new goals to aim for in 2009.

John Kynaston

Amanda said...

I'm sorry to read about your withdrawal Lizzy. I hope your exploration takes you somewhere positive, and (on a more practical level) that your injury resolves itself quickly.

All the best
Amanda (and Tony and Beatrix)

icey_mark said...

There are other mountains Liz.....
(and you know there that comes from).
Stay safe! and keep relaxed, Mark B (with Sasha on my lap!)