My photo
My enduring passion is for the mountains and wilderness. Having trained as an environmental scientist I have somehow fallen into the world of ultra and endurance running. My dream is to encourage people to realise the sanctuary of the mountains, the richness of our environment and our responsibility to protect it, and the value of challenging yourself both physically and mentally.

Twitter

Friday 31 October 2008

7 days ......


"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

VAN GOGH


Tonight I know nothing with any certainty. But there are stars in a clear mountain sky, and so tonight, just tonight, I will dream.

Zermatt - two weeks in one place - and waking to the mountains. It has been a privilege just to have had the chance to be here, and for that I am grateful. Time in one place - a time to take stock - a time to prepare - a time for work - and a time for training. But the days have swept past too fast.

From autumn to winter. During the past few days winter has arrived. An incredibly swift change. Beautiful. And yet somehow it seems to have shocked the mountains into a hushed quiet. Me too - neither mind nor body quite prepared for the cold, the intensity of white.

Those beautiful days of autumn have past. The intensity of colour, the warmth of the mid-day sun, the frosty cold of morning and night.

But now again I leave - tomorrow to Winterthur - Sunday to meetings with North Face in Saalfelden - and then back to Winterthur before my flight to Rome. But that is the root of my uncertainty. Pain in my knee during my long run last Sunday has forced me to stop training for a few days.
Will I be fit to compete for the 100km World Championships on the 8th?

Mal luega ....

I haven't given up hope yet. Trying to keep strong in heart and mind.
If the knee is good I run ... if not ... then this one is not for me.

One step at a time .... always one step at a time?



No comments: