My photo
My enduring passion is for the mountains and wilderness. Having trained as an environmental scientist I have somehow fallen into the world of ultra and endurance running. My dream is to encourage people to realise the sanctuary of the mountains, the richness of our environment and our responsibility to protect it, and the value of challenging yourself both physically and mentally.

Twitter

Saturday 7 June 2008

Graubunden, Switzerland


Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
GOETHE

Do you ever wake up in the morning and not know where you are? It seems to be happening every few days at the moment! But this morning I awoke to birdsong, the insistent sound of the flowing river, the breath of cool mountain air on my face and the gentle rhythmic patter of falling rain.

Home. Back in the mountains .....

Of no 'fixed abode'. A nightmare of packing up and making logistical plans - but now I'm on the road - I feel like I have a one way ticket to a blank destination. A wonderfully terrifying sense of freedom. The Leeds flat is packed up, books and kit in storage, and leaving from an oasis of tranquility staying with friends in Linton the unknown lies ahead.

After a first aid course in Wales, a mad capped swop of bike for rucksack at Euston train station and a week of The North Face meeting in Austria now I have just a couple of days here in the mountains. Then next week a talk to give in Dublin.

If I manage to be in the right place at the right time with the right things and having done the right preparation it will be a miracle!

But now I concentrate on getting some 'time on my feet'. Still running only 15 mins at a time. I think healing is nearly there. But I need to be sure .... And so I must be patient and take things slowly.

But may I leave you with a challenge?

Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Endurance IS exploration.
Be bold - begin to explore one of your dreams.
Sometimes, just sometimes dreams come true.

No comments: