My photo
My enduring passion is for the mountains and wilderness. Having trained as an environmental scientist I have somehow fallen into the world of ultra and endurance running. My dream is to encourage people to realise the sanctuary of the mountains, the richness of our environment and our responsibility to protect it, and the value of challenging yourself both physically and mentally.

Twitter

Thursday 23 July 2009


The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.

EMILE ZOLA

Running is an art …..
So maybe we need a little bit of a gift ….
But even when we have the gift, we need to do a little bit of work …

Endurance - it’s more than just competing in ultra distance races - it is more than simply running. It’s the lifestyle of never looking for the easy way out. It’s finding opportunities whatever the situation. It is a freedom, if you have the courage to seize that freedom. It’s an exploration towards the edge. For each of us this ‘edge’ will be in a different place. And that place will be constantly changing. It is the journey to find that edge which maybe teaches us more about ourselves.

But back to the moment …
Another weekend, another race - 78km in the Graubunden. I’ll make the start-line, but with cracked ribs and sore grazes from the last race - I’ve come to an edge before I even start. And the last race - less than two weeks ago - the IAU World Trail Championships (68km and ±3500m) - Bronze Medal for Great Britain. Just a little bit of the magic seemed to come back …. until my head forgot to race, and I fell, and I fell again!

So for now my work is to allow things just to flow, just to be what they will … and to run for the love of it. One step at a time.

6 comments:

Farmin Gorerunner said...

You are great, Lizzy!
I am looking forward to watching you at a race, the last one ("live") was in Davos 2007. I was waiting to start in Bergün (K42) and saw you during your K78 race . woaaaah! What a pace after 30k! Incredible!!!

JackTravel said...

Wow - read about you in the weekend papers, Lizzy, and this blog is right up my Strasse! You're a top lass, if slightly mental - consider the blog bookmarked & keep it up.
Cheers - Steve (York, UK)

Unknown said...

Hey Lizzie!

Seems you have accomplished more since the Downing Street socal club than most of us!

I'm impressed! Good luck!

Alex

Adam said...

Good to hear that you're getting back to the top! Hope the ribs heal up nice and quick, and don't hold you back to much.

Good luck for this weekend

Tom said...

Hi Lizzie,

I saw you running in Chamonix this afternoon. I hope the prep has gone well and all the very best for the race.

I will look out for you on the start line, although I suspect you would have to wait a long time after you finish to see me at the end.

Best wishes,

Tom – From Ipswich

Adam said...

Lizzie

All the best for the UTMB. All at BODC wish you well over this weekend.

Adam